- We started off by looking at the fruits and vegetables in our garden – Red Chilli and Yellow Cucumber
- When harvesting seeds make sure to collect them from overly ripe fruits and vegetables. This increases the chance that the seeds will grow/bear fruit
- After collecting the seeds, remember to dry them in the sun otherwise they get mouldy when stored (alternatively, you can just place them on a kitchen counter)
- Place them in an envelope/Ziplock bag which can be stored in a cool place i.e. cupboard
- Remember to write down the date that you’ve collected them so that you know when they’re unusable (how many years is it before you cant use it?)
- Place the seeds very near to the top of the soil, approximately at a depth which is twice its width
- Remember to water them enough, place them in a location, which is favourable and supports their growth (this differs from species to species)
Though this process might seem daunting fret not! It will be okay and you will be great! You just have to give it a shot and believe in your gardening capabilities! Also, we are always happy to give advice and lend a helping hand! For some hands on practice remember to check out our Facebook page and come along to our workshops/working bees!
Thank you to everyone who has been coming and helping out! We really appreciate it and can’t thank you enough!
Lots of Love,
Melbourne University Community (MUC) Garden Team